LORAIN – A cat carrier with a plugged in heater is believed to be the cause of a fire that started on the deck of a house in Lorain early Friday morning.
At about 4:15 a.m., the Lorain Fire Department arrived at the 5600 block of Boxwood Drive where a fire had started on the deck of a one-story house and moved into the attic. The house’s owner, Pete Rosso, 65, his wife and their two dogs made it out of the house without injuries, according to the fire department.
Rosso told firefighters that the fire was most likely caused by a cat carrier with an attached heater that sat on the deck of his house, though the couple does not own a cat, according to Lorain Assistant Fire Chief Dennis Livchak.
Rosso was able to extinguish most of the flames on the deck with a garden hose by the time the fire department arrived, Livchak said. However, within minutes the flames had traveled up the side of the house into the attic, where the fire caused extensive damage to the ceiling and roof rafters.
Firefighters got the fire under control around 5:15 a.m. and estimated the fire caused about $60,000 worth of damage to the house and the couple’s belongings.