MEDINA — A 20-year-old Elyria man who last month pleaded guilty to beating his infant son now says he’s innocent of the charge.
Christian Vanmeter revoked his guilty plea Monday at what was scheduled to be his sentencing hearing on charges of second-degree felonious assault and third-degree child endangering.
He had pleaded guilty to felonious assault in exchange for prosecutors dropping a child-endangering charge.
He faced eight or more years in prison if convicted.
Vanmeter is accused of breaking the bones of his 3½-month-old son in late June, according to county records. Police reported an investigation began after a hospital reported the child’s injuries were indicative of abuse.
According to the county Probation Department, the boy’s mother said she and Vanmeter didn’t hurt the boy. She said he was injured by doctors.
Medina County Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier scheduled Vanmeter for a Feb. 12 trial and ordered Vanmeter back into the county jail on $300,000 bond. In addition, Vanmeter requested a new attorney. His previous attorney, Cara Ford, withdrew as counsel.