ELYRIA -- A woman who lit a kerosene heater in her home early Monday morning inadvertently started a fire that caused $40,000 of damage, according to the Elyria Fire Department.
At about 5:45 a.m. Monday, firefighters were called to 1234 East Ave. for a house fire.
"It was a pretty heavy fire when we arrived," Elyria Fire Capt. Joseph Pronesti said.
The owner of the house, Lisa Krauss, was the only person in the building at the time of the fire. She was able to get outside before firefighters arrived.
Krauss was trying to light a kerosene heater in her kitchen when her house caught on fire, Pronesti said. He warned residents to be wary of fires caused by heaters, especially during the winter months.
"People have to be very cautious of portable heating equipment," he said.