Sunday, November 19, 2017 Elyria 33°

Cops and Courts

Woman who fled from alleged abductor recounts escape


LORAIN -- Fear trumped any sense of relief that Christine Green might have felt when she pushed herself out of the camper where she says she was raped, tortured and held captive Friday.

As she fell to the ground, still naked and bound by her hands and feet, all she could think of was how to get away.

“I was still scared because I didn’t know if I could make it” said Green, who escaped when her captor left her alone for a short time Friday afternoon.

The 31-year-old Lorain woman and mother of four was abducted in Lorain around 9 a.m. Friday, and then raped, tortured and held captive in a camper on 10701 Strecker Road in Bellevue, she said.

A passing motorist found her around 2 p.m. Friday, lying naked and bound by the side of Strecker Road in Erie County.

The Chronicle-Telegram traditionally does not name victims when rape is alleged. But Green, who sat down with The Chronicle on Tuesday for an interview accompanied by her fiancee, Jeremy Frey, permitted her name to be used. She said she wanted to raise awareness of her plight.

Lorain police took Brian Jury, 38, into custody in Lorain a few hours after Green was found and charged him with carrying concealed weapons. Jury has no previous serious criminal history, according to Lorain police Lt. Roger Watkins. The Erie County Sheriff’s Department has also charged Jury with kidnapping and rape.

Green is convinced that her resilience in that small window of opportunity kept her alive.

“I thought, ‘if I don’t get out, I’m going to die’ … I said, ‘it’s not my time to die,’ ” Green said of the moment when she decided to break free and look for help.

Green said her abduction began when she was walking on 19th Street in Lorain around 9 a.m. and accepted what she expected to be a ride to a store from a man she identified as Jury.

“I never thought he would do this,” Green said, explaining how she had met Jury at her house two months before when Jury was dating one of her friends.

In that first meeting he had been quiet, reserved and had introduced himself by a different first name, she said.

Green accepted the ride and only started to become suspicious when he drove past the store.

“I said ‘Where are you going?’ and he said, ‘Don’t worry about it,’ ” Green said.

Frightened, Green said, she tried to escape from the car, but Jury held a gun to her head and forced her to stay. She said that when she started begging for freedom, he told her to “shut up” before driving her almost 40 minutes outside Lorain to his camper in Bellevue.

“I shut up, but I didn’t stop crying,” Green said, adding that for the entire ride out of Lorain County she didn’t say a word.

Once at the camper, she said, Jury raped and tortured her, holding a knife to her throat and face and gagging her with toilet paper and tape. She said that he then put her hands and feet in zip ties, which cut off her circulation, and he left her lying naked and helpless on her stomach in the camper.

“I couldn’t breathe,” Green said. “I was throwing up. It felt like I was passing out.”

She said Jury, as he was preparing to leave the trailer, told her that he would bring “other people back” and that she shouldn’t try to scream or escape.

Before he left, he also told her he was sorry, she said.

“He said, ‘I’m sorry. You’re such a pretty girl,” Green said, adding that Jury told her repeatedly that he would kill her.

When she heard his car pull out of the driveway, she ripped the tape from around her wrists and, still bound in zip ties, rolled herself to the door of the camper.

She said she pushed against the door with her head until it opened and she fell a few feet to the ground below.

“I thought I’d broken my neck,” she said.

Once outside the camper, Green rolled across the gravel to the road in search of help.

“I started thinking about my kids and Jeremy,” Green said, referring to Frey. “God was with me.”

The passing motorist and an off-duty police officer found Green around 2 p.m. She was treated at Firelands Regional Medical Center for her injuries and released Friday night.

Green pulled up her sleeves to show bruises still on her wrists from the zip ties.

“My whole body feels like I’ve been hit by a bus … I’m scared,” Green said. “It just keeps going through my mind.”

Her first-hand account was consistent with what she told police based on a comparison of reports from the case.

Frey said he tried to comfort his fiancee in the midst of police questioning, hospital visits and court proceedings.

“She won’t leave my side,” Frey said, adding that he and Green have spent the nights following the rape and abduction sleeping in their car. Green is afraid because Jury has been to their home, he said.

Green said she planned to look into counseling and was thinking about moving from Lorain, but money is an issue, especially since her purse, wallet and phone were stolen.

“I’m just trying to move on … day by day,” she said.

Contact Anna Merriman at 329-7245 or Follow her on Twitter at @AnnaLMerriman.


Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…