PASADENA, Calif. — Dwayne Haskins was celebrating in the locker room with his Ohio State teammates after the Buckeyes defeated Washington 28-23 in the Rose Bowl on Tuesday. As for the announcement everyone is waiting for, that will take a couple more days.
The redshirt sophomore quarterback didn't announce if he was coming back or headed to the NFL Draft after throwing for three touchdowns and being named the game's Most Outstanding Player on offense. Ohio State fans were chanting "one more year" as Haskins left the field after the game.
"To receive that ovation from them, to know how much they value me as a player and to know how much work I put into this to be in this spot, just to go to school here, just really blessed," said Haskins, who was third in Heisman Trophy voting.
The three TD passes, which are the most by an Ohio State QB in the Rose Bowl, made Haskins the sixth player in Football Bowl Subdivision history to throw 50 or more in a season. He joins Oklahoma's Sam Bradford as the only quarterbacks from a Power Five conference to accomplish it.
Even though Haskins completed 25 of 37 passes, his 251 yards were his second-lowest of the season. Nine players caught passes, including Parris Campbell Jr., who had 11 receptions for 71 yards and a touchdown.
While the passing game struggled in the first quarter, Mike Weber was able to get the offense going. The junior running back had four carries for 52 yards on the Buckeyes first TD drive, which ended with a 12-yard pass from Haskins to Campbell to give the Buckeyes a 7-0 lead with 9:04 remaining in the first.
"Mike ran the ball really efficiently and we got a lot of first downs with him. That opened up the passing game for us, giving us some wide-open lanes and as far as impacting the zone coverage," Haskins said. "We did a great job picking up some blitzes today, and we had to be efficient."
Haskins completed just three of his first seven against an experienced Washington defense. He then got in a rhythm, connecting on 19 of his next 22, including a pair of touchdowns. There were two times when he had a streak of nine straight completions.
Haskins' other TD passes also came in the first half. He had a 19-yarder to Johnnie Dixon less than three minutes into the second quarter and a 1-yard throw to Rashod Berry with 14 seconds remaining to give the Buckeyes a 21-3 lead at halftime.
"I think everyone kind of had the butterflies because it felt like the first game of the year. I didn't get in my groove until late in the first quarter but then Dwayne got right and he started to make all the throws," Dixon said.
Including the bowl game, Haskins threw for 4,831 yards and was part of only the third Ohio State team to win 13 or more games in a season.
"Dwayne is a hell of a player with a great arm. All we had to do was put players around him and an offensive line in front of him and let him go. That's what he did this year," Weber said.
Haskins reiterated that he will discuss his future with his family and the Ohio State coaching staff before he makes a final decision. If he does decide to go to the NFL, Dixon thinks he is ready.
"He can make any throw on the field. He is stepping up in a leadership role which you have to be as a QB," Dixon said. "You can kind of tell as the year went on how he progressed as a leader. It's kind of hard but we let him know that you are the QB and you have to step in and say what you want to say."
- Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins declares for NFL draft
- Ohio State sends coach Urban Meyer out on top with a Rose Bowl win over Washington
- College football: Bloom not off Rose Bowl for Ohio State's Urban Meyer
- College football: Ohio State's Haskins preparing for final game of OSU career?
- Ohio State players: Urban Meyer won't let go until the end
- College football: Kyler Murray second straight Oklahoma QB to win Heisman Trophy
- College football: Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins named Heisman Trophy finalist
- Ohio State: Buckeyes not thinking about anything but beating Northwestern, winning Big Ten title
- No. 6 Ohio State 45, No. 21 Northwestern 24: Buckeyes pour it on late to win second straight Big Ten title, but playoffs look like long shot
- Dwayne Haskins steps forward as a leader as Buckeyes hit stride
- (UPDATED) No. 10 Ohio State ravages No. 4 Michigan's top-rated defense for 567 yards in blowout win
- Ohio State vs. Michigan: Buckeyes QB Dwayne Haskins played hero last year against the Wolverines, but can he do it again?
- College football: Tale of two defenses could decide Ohio State-Michigan game
- College football: Ohio State vs. Michigan is once again a huge game for both
- Ohio State: Criticism of the Buckeyes frustrates Urban Meyer, but he knows it comes with the territory
- No. 9 Ohio State 52, Maryland 51: Buckeyes barely hang on, squeak past Terps in OT
- No. 8 Ohio State 26, No. 24 Michigan State 6: Buckeyes give Spartans the boot with punting, defense
- College football: Ohio State can't afford to look past Michigan State
- Ohio State football: Buckeyes get running game rolling again
- Ohio State looking to get back on track against Nebraska
- No. 8 Ohio State 36, Nebraska 31: Buckeyes find missing ground game but still struggle to put away Huskers
- Ohio State: Buckeyes using bye week to try to fix a number of weaknesses
- Purdue 49, No. 2 Ohio State 20: Purdue hands Buckeyes first loss in blowout fashion
- No. 2 Buckeyes still seeking improvement on trip to Purdue
- No. 3 Ohio State 30, Minnesota 14: Haskins, receivers help Buckeyes hold off Gophers
- No. 3 Ohio State 49, Indiana 26: Dwayne Haskins throws six touchdown passes to help Buckeyes stay unbeaten
- Ohio State football: Urban Meyer issues 'call to arms' to team, wants some players to step up their games
- No. 4 Ohio State 27, No. 9 Penn State 26: Buckeyes storm back in fourth quarter to deny Nittany Lions again
- Ohio State: Highly touted receiver Binjimen Victor picks perfect time for breakout game
- College football: Ohio State and Penn State becoming a rivalry that matters
- College football: Offenses at forefront of Ohio State-Penn State clash
- Ohio State: Urban Meyer returns to sideline for No. 4 Buckeyes against Tulane
- No. 4 Ohio State 49, Tulane 6: Buckeyes unstoppable in first half, remain undefeated
- No. 4 Ohio State holds off No. 15 TCU, 40-28
- Getting defensive: No. 4 Ohio State and No. 15 TCU ready to tangle
- Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins making it look easy so far
- No. 4 Ohio State 52, Rutgers 3: Two quarterbacks too good as Buckeyes rout Rutgers, improve to 2-0
- College football: Season's here for No. 5 Ohio State, but Urban Meyer's not
- No. 5 Ohio State 77, Oregon State 31: Buckeyes bring the thunder during stormy season opener, piling up 721 yards of offense
- Ohio State: Buckeyes' receivers ready to answer Meyer's call
- Ohio State football: Plenty of concerns off the field, but expectations still high for Buckeyes, even with a new QB
- QB Joe Burrow decides to transfer from Ohio State
- Ohio State Spring Game: QBs make pitch for starting job; North Ridgeville's Demario McCall has big day
- Ohio State: Buckeyes will have to replace lots of key players next year
- Ohio State: Urban Meyer has confidence J.T. Barrett will be able to play tonight against Wisconson despite surgery
- J.T. Barrett injury and how it happened angers Ohio State coach Urban Meyer
- Freshman QB Dwayne Haskins steps in for injured J.T. Barrett, leads way as Ohio State rallies to beat Michigan for the sixth straight season
- AP Top Heat Check: After shakeup, greatest Saturday ever
- No. 8 Ohio State 52, Illinois 14: Buckeyes roll over Illini, clinch Big Ten East title
- Unstoppable: No. 9 Ohio State makes it look easy against Nebraska
- Ohio State puts the rut in Rutgers, routs the Scarlet Knights for the second straight season
- Ohio State: Buckeyes looking to shore things up against overmatched UNLV
- Jackpot: Ohio State rolls over Vegas
- Ohio State: Army likely to encounter angry Buckeyes today at Ohio Stadium
- Ohio State's Bosa fine with living in his brother's shadow
- Ohio State football: Buckeyes enter spring practice with fewer question marks than last year