COLUMBUS — Ohio State has fired receivers coach Zach Smith, who was charged last week with misdemeanor criminal trespass after a dispute with his ex-wife.
Coach Urban Meyer announced Smith's dismissal in a two-sentence statement on Monday.
The move came after multiple media outlets reported that Smith's ex-wife has filed for a protective order against him. The Columbus Dispatch reported that Courtney Smith wrote in a sworn document that her ex-husband has stalked and intimidated her.
At the time of the trespass charge, Zach Smith's attorney said Smith's ex-wife accused him of driving to her apartment after she told him they would meet elsewhere so he could drop off their son.
Meyer was scheduled to speak to reporters at Big Ten Media Days on Tuesday. According to his statement, “coaching staff adjustments will be announced at a later date.”
Smith is the grandson of former Ohio State coach Earle Bruce. He had been on the Buckeyes’ staff since Meyer arrived in 2012, and he previously worked as a graduate assistant under Meyer at Florida.
- Ohio State's Urban Meyer explains decision to fire assistant coach
- Ohio State: Urban Meyer devotes weekly news conference to suspension, trying to repair damage to program
- Ohio State trustee resigns, calls Urban Meyer's penalty too light
- Ohio State football: Open records experts say Urban Meyer may have broken the law if he deleted old texts
- Jim Ingraham: For THE Ohio State University, Urban Meyer is obviously too big to fail
- By keeping it in the family, Urban Meyer tarnishes legacy
- Urban Meyer suspended 3 games
- Ohio State trustees deliberate Urban Meyer's coaching future (UPDATED)
- Ohio State: Buckeyes' receivers ready to answer Meyer's call
- Ohio State: OSU trustees to meet Wednesday to discuss Urban Meyer's future
- That scrutinized bit of Urban Meyer's OSU contract may be new norm
- Ohio State football: Plenty of concerns off the field, but expectations still high for Buckeyes, even with a new QB
- Jim Ingraham: Ohio State's Urban Meyer just might be fumbling his career away
- Urban Meyer: Followed protocol for 2015 abuse allegations (UPDATED)
- Ohio State closing practice to media in wake of Urban Meyer investigation
- Paul Newberry: It's tough to believe a 'control freak' like Urban Meyer didn't know
- Ohio State's Meyer put on leave, investigation opened (UPDATED)
- Ex-Ohio State star Brian Hartline promoted after shakeup
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer to retire after Rose Bowl (UPDATED)
- College football: Bloom not off Rose Bowl for Ohio State's Urban Meyer