With a history reaching all the way back to the founding of Elyria’s first newspaper in 1829, The Chronicle-Telegram is heir to a rich tradition. Many newspapers were published in the city over the years until the merger in 1919 of The Chronicle and The Telegram.
In 1922 A.C. Hudnutt became partner in The Chronicle-Telegram and within five years bought out his partner and the former owner of the paper. This marked the beginning of Hudnutt family ownership of the newspaper. In 1950, a few days after breaking ground for a new plant at Third Street and East Avenue,where The Chronicle remains today, A.C. Hudnutt died, leaving the paper to his son, Arthur D. Hudnutt,and daughter, Molly H. Young. Family ownership continues today, with Andy Young serving as editor and Bill Hudnutt as General Manager.
The Chronicle broke ground in 2005 on an expansion to add a press and distribution equipment.The larger plant allowed The Chronicle to print its sister paper, The Gazette of Medina. Both papers are part of the Lorain County Printing & Publishing Co., which also owns and operates the papers’ websites and four radio stations, WEOL 930-AM, WKFM 96.1-FM, WLKR 1510-AM and WLKR 95.3-FM. Paul B.Martin is the company’s president and CEO.
The Chronicle circulates in print largely in Lorain County but also reaches portions of Cuyahoga, Erie, Huron, Medina and Ashland counties. The newspaper remains dedicated to serving its readers and communities with unbiased and accurate news coverage, vigorous opinion and advertising worth its price.