ELYRIA — The Elyria Public Library System broke ground Friday afternoon on its new South Branch, and it hopes to hold a grand opening in five months.
The new branch will be at 340 15th St., and construction is set to officially begin Monday, library Director Lyn Crouse said.
Elyria and Keystone Schools voters approved a 0.9-mill, 30-year levy in November 2017 that will generate $950,000 per year to pay off the bonds the library system takes out to finance the construction of the South Branch and the Central Branch being built at East Avenue and Broad Street downtown, as well as upgrades and improvements at its other locales.
Crouse said the new branch building will be 8,500 square feet and, when it opens, the library will take up 5,500 square feet, leaving space for future expansion.
“We originally intended to purchase this property and tear down this building,” Crouse said during the groundbreaking ceremony. “When we brought our architects and engineers out to see it, they said it’s an amazing building. We decided to keep it.”
Crouse said that had the library decided to tear down the building on the property and replace it with a new building, the new building would have been about 3,500 square feet.
The library system started the South Branch in 2006 in Hamilton Elementary School at Middle Avenue and 15th Street. When Elyria Schools decided to replace the school building with a new building, the library branch was moved to the basement of Asbury United Methodist Church, 1611 Middle Ave.
Crouse said the new branch is expected to open in October.
- Elyria Library OKs several naming rights at new branches
- Elyria library's board selects design for new site
- Elyria Council OKs construction project, rezoning
- Director explains details of Elyria library plan
- Elyria Public Library to get new Central Branch by Pioneer Park
- New date set for Elyria library branch vote
- Elyria Public Library System buys property for South Branch
- Elyria Public Library levy passes
- Elyria Library has solid plan for buildings: ENDORSEMENT
- Issue 39: Elyria Public Library
- South Elyria library branch reopens in new location