The third annual memorial motorcycle and car ride for Alia Bailey, a 6-year-old who died in a car crash in January 2017, is Sunday.
The ride will begin at 143 Brace Ave. in Elyria, and end at Eddie’s Club, 1433 Lowell St. in Elyria, where there will be a balloon release in Alia’s memory.
Alia, who was in the car with mom Nancy Burnett, was hit by a driver at the corner of state Route 57 and Cleveland Street in Elyria. She sustained multiple injuries and died Jan. 26, 2017, at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.
The driver, Donald Buchs, was convicted of aggravated vehicular assault, aggravated vehicular assault and operating a vehicle under the influence of a controlled substance and sentenced to 11 years in prison.
Alia’s father, Juan Bailey, rides motorcycles and has helped with the ride in Alia’s memory. Burnett said Juan Bailey was looking for a way to help others and give back, so the ride has continued.
Each year, attendees are asked to donate at the ride, where the money will go to a good cause. The first year, the fund went to a bench in Alia’s memory at her school. The second year, money went to her Girl Scout troop. This year, the donated money will go to a bench in Alia’s memory at East Recreation Park on Prospect Street in Elyria, where she played T-ball.
Burnett said they try to think of something different each year that is associated with Alia. She said she wants people to remember Alia’s kindness, and her tendency toward practical jokes.
“She loved people,” Burnett said. “She was known for calling her grandparents and asking ‘Is everything OK? How are you doing?’ and she would always check on everyone.”
She said they would often remind Alia that she still was young, because the 6-year-old could act like an adult many times. She said Alia was just caring and an active child.
Burnett said each year the attendance seems to get larger, so she said she hoped it would be another year of good turnout.
- Remembering Alia: Ride commemorates child's life cut short in crash
- Donald Buchs sentenced for role in fatal crash (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Remembering Alia: Parents, others pay respects
- Donald Buchs pleads guilty in fatal car crash (UPDATED)
- Several not guilty pleas made in high-profile cases
- Buchs indicted for fatal crash
- Driver accused in fatal crash faces lawsuit
- Balloon launch memorializes young crash victim
- Charges against driver in fatal six-car wreck dropped -- for now
- Girl dies from injuries in Sunday crash at Route 57, Cleveland Street
- Girl injured in six-car crash remains critical with broken leg, brain bleeding
- Elyria man charged with OVI after six-car crash at Route 57 and Cleveland Street