WELLINGTON — Two houses caught fire this week in Wellington and Huntington townships, according to Wellington Assistant Fire Chief Bill Brown.
Wellington Fire Department received a call at 6:11 a.m. Tuesday at 19600 West Road in Wellington Township in which a woman reported her house was on fire.
The woman told firefighters she woke up to the smell of smoke and went downstairs to find thick smoke and a fire blazing in the first-floor bathroom at the back of the home. The woman said she lived alone with four dogs and was able to prop the door open for them to leave as the fire continued to burn. Three dogs escaped the home, but one was unaccounted for, Brown said.
Mutual aid was received from fire departments in Spencer, Wakeman, Rochester, LaGrange and Carlisle townships and Oberlin. Firefighters cleared the area about 12:30 p.m.
Firefighters were unable to save the home. The woman had no smoke detectors in the home, but she was insured. The American Red Cross assisted the woman with a place to stay.
Two days later, Wellington firefighters responded to a call about 7 a.m. Thursday at 27535 Baker Road in Huntington Township for a kitchen fire. A mother and her child were getting ready to leave for the day when the mother saw a fire start behind the stove and she and the child left the home.
The home sits back from the main road about 2,000 feet, Brown said. The home was still standing after firefighters extinguished the blaze, but it was deemed unlivable. The home suffered an estimated $75,000 in damage. The family is insured.
Wellington received mutual aid from fire departments in Rochester, Wakeman and New London and the Ruggles-Troy Volunteer Fire Department in Nova. Firefighters cleared the area about 2 p.m.