Saturday, February 16, 2019 Elyria 24°
Advertisement

Local News

Burning mattress spreads fire to apartments in South Amherst

  • IMG-3392-jpg

    South Amherst Fire responded to a two-story apartment building on fire behind the Trading Post shopping plaza off Telegraph Road around 7:15 p.m. Tuesday.

    CARISSA WOYTACH / CHRONICLE

Advertisement

SOUTH AMHERST — No one was injured in a fire off Telegraph Road on Tuesday evening.

South Amherst Fire responded to a two-story apartment fire behind the Trading Post shopping plaza about 7:15 p.m.

The building, half residential and half business, had smoke pouring from its back corner, but everyone got out of the building safely, Chief Al Schmitz said. The resident’s dog was in the back of Schmitz’s command vehicle while crews worked to get the fire under control.

A resident caught his mattress on fire, Schmitz said, which spread to the rest of the apartment.

“At this point I don’t know what caused it or why he caught his mattress on fire,” he said.

The fire is under investigation.

Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…