Elyria Safety Service Director Mary Siwierka is seeking the county commissioner’s seat vacated by Ted Kalo.
In a news release sent to area media today, Siwierka announced she’s actively seeking the commissioner’s seat. Siwierka touts her education as well as experience, specifically in Elyria city government. Prior to her role as safety service director, she served on Elyria council for two years and was previously assistant to the mayor. She’s also served on the city’s civil service commission, planning commission, dispute resolution board and personnel placement committee. In the community, she’s also served as a board member for the Elyria Rotary and the American Red Cross.
In the release, Siwierka said she’s reached out to county Democratic Party leadership as well as members of the Lorain County Democratic Party Central Committee.
“In my current role and previous roles, I have consistently demonstrated the ability to work across large and complex organizations,” Siwierka said in the statement. “Over my tenure as Safety Service Director, I have worked closely with many other government entities and elected officials. I truly feel that my credentials position me as the best person to continue to work with the standing Commissioners, elected officials, other Lorain County governmental entities and – most important-the residents of our great area of Northeast Ohio.”
Kalo resigned Sunday after he was appointed Lorain Clerk of Courts by members of the central committee. Kalo had expressed interest in running for the position this year, and was nominated after Lori Maiorana resigned. Maiorana announced her resignation, effective Jan. 1, in December, citing health reasons, but Lorain police confirmed her office was under investigation at the time of her resignation.
Lorain County Board of Elections Director Paul Adams said previously that Kalo’s replacement must be picked no sooner than five days after the vacancy opens up and no later than 45 days afterward.
- 5 show interest in commissioner's seat
- Oberlin councilman Ronnie Rimbert seeks commissioner's seat
- Candidates forum scheduled tonight for commissioner hopefuls
- Public gets look at commissioner candidates; one to be picked Sunday
- Sharon Sweda chosen as new Lorain County commissioner
- Lorain County commissioner Ted Kalo named Lorain clerk of courts
- Democrats to pick new Lorain Municipal Court clerk soon
- Commissioner announces run for Lorain Muni Court clerk
- Lorain Municipal Court clerk steps down amid police investigation