AMHERST — Peggie Pentito was spending a Sunday evening at home with her family when disaster struck at their home on Cornell Avenue.
Her home and two others caught fire after a detached garage at 190 Harris Road became engulfed. Amherst firefighters were dispatched about 8 p.m. for the garage fire that began to show signs of spreading to nearby houses, according to the Amherst Fire Chief Jim Wilhelm.
Amherst called in mutual aid from fire departments in South Amherst, Sheffield Township, Elyria Township and Vermilion. As the blaze intensified, Pentito said she and her children smelled something burning while sitting in the living room.
“(The smell) got strong and it smelled like something electrical, and I came outside to see the glow of the fire from his garage next door,” she said.
Without any time to even grab her purse or a coat or shoes, she and her children came out to see the garage on fire and nearly spreading to their home as well. All of the families who lived in the affected homes left in time and suffered no injuries or smoke inhalation, Wilhelm said.
Unfortunately, the family couldn’t find their two cats. Pentito also recently lost her father and some of his items were stored in the home, which she hopes weren’t lost in the fire.
The area was cleared about 12:40 a.m. today, with two of the three houses having siding and window damage. Pentito’s home received significant damage, according to Wilhelm.