U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan’s year was a bit of a rollercoaster. While Jordan, R-Urbana, was running for re-election against Democrat Janet Garrett, of Oberlin, he was linked to sexual abuse allegations at The Ohio State University.
This file photo shows a 1978 employment application information for Dr. Richard Strauss, from Ohio State University personnel files reviewed by The Associated Press. Strauss, who died in 2005, has been accused of sexual misconduct by former college student athletes. Ohio State says the firm conducting an independent investigation also is reviewing whether Strauss examined high school students.
OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY VIA AP, FILE Enlarge
Several former wrestlers with the university accused Jordan, who was a wrestling coach there from 1987 to 1995, of knowing about the abuse by former university doctor Richard Strauss, who killed himself in 2005. The wrestlers said that while Jordan knew about the abuse, he did nothing to stop it. Jordan has denied he knew anything and insisted that if he had known, he would have put a stop to it.
Jordan still overwhelmingly won re-election for Ohio’s 4th Congressional District, over Garrett, 65 percent to 35 percent. Shortly thereafter, he announced he would run for the new minority leader (he’d suggested he’d run for Speaker of the House in the summer, if Republicans held on to the majority) but lost in a Republican-only vote to California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy.
- Year in Review: Tragedies and controversies marked 2018
- Ex-employees: Doctor in Ohio State sex abuse inquiry aimed ads at students
- Ohio State: 145 firsthand accounts of doctor sex misconduct
- Ohio State abuse case echoes Larry Nassar gymnast scandal at Michigan State
- Feds to review Ohio State response to claims of abuse by team doctor (UPDATED)
- Retired Ohio State coach asked Jim Jordan accusers to recant, report says
- 10 more ex-students sue Ohio State over sex abuse by doctor
- Jim Jordan announces run for Speaker of the House (UPDATED)
- Local man tells of his time with Ohio State doctor accused of sexual abuse
- Was it sexual abuse? Ohio State athletes confront the past
- Ohio State has records of 1995 student complaint about doctor (UPDATED)
- Rep. Jim Jordan reportedly named in new Ohio State wrestler lawsuit
- APNewsBreak: Jordan interviewed in doctor sex abuse inquiry
- (UPDATED) Wrestlers sue Ohio State over doctor's sexual misconduct
- Former Ohio State athletes describe creepy people, lewd atmosphere
- Ethics review sought as ex-coaches at Ohio St. defend Jordan
- Former wrestlers say U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan ignored allegations of sexual abuse as Ohio State wrestling coach (UPDATED)
- Ex-athletes say Ohio State doctor groped, ogled men for years
- US Rep. Jim Jordan denies claims he knew of Ohio State sex abuse
- Law firm says it asked US Rep Jim Jordan for interview about team doc groping allegations
- APNewsBreak: Schools mum on ties to doc in Ohio State University sex abuse inquiry