WELLINGTON — The Fair-minded Coalition of Lorain County will hold a decommissioning service at the square in downtown Wellington to symbolically “bury” the Confederate flag and commit it to history Sunday.
The service at 5 p.m. will be officiated by area clergy who are also members of the Fair-minded Coalition.
“It is only fitting that we ‘bury’ the existence of this flag here in Wellington on the last day of the fair and in what might be the last year that the flag is sold at the Lorain County Fair,” the event’s coordinator and coaliton member Virginia Simmons said.
The flag to be decommissioned is the one that was draped over the American flag billboard purchased by the Coalition on state Route 57, according to a release from the Fair-minded Coalition.
Lorain Councilman Angel Arroyo and others retrieved the flag from the billboard shortly after learning of it.
The Fair-minded Coalition is a committee established in 2016 by the Elyria and Lorain YWCAs with the aim of stopping the sale of Confederate flags at the Lorain County Fair, which it says is “America’s most enduring symbol of hate.”
- Fair-minded Coalition holds funeral for Confederate flag (VIDEO)
- Fair-minded Coalition continues to debate Confederate flag
- Lorain County Fair Board: State never asked us to end Confederate flag sales
- Group vows to not give up fight until Lorain County Fair changes Confederate flag policy
- Three billboards in Lorain County, Ohio, target Confederate flag sales at the county fair
- Group plans to continue fight against rebel flag sales at fair
- Group says it will not protest rebel flag at fair (VIDEO)
- Protests continue over sale of Confederate flag at Lorain County Fair
- Fair board stands firm in allowing sale of Confederate flag
- Lorain County Fair: Confederate flag controversy provides teachable moment
- Rally attendees decry Confederate flag sales at fair
- Petition aims to ban Confederate flag sales at Lorain County fair
- Fair Board votes to remove commissioners' photos from annual guide
- Board takes no action to ban Confederate flag sales at fair
- Group asks Fair Board to ban Confederate flag sale