A special Elyria Council meeting is set for 6 p.m. Aug. 27 to select a replacement for former Councilman Mark Craig, who resigned at the end of last month.
Craig, an independent, has served on Council for more than 10 years in the 4th Ward.
Council will determine who should serve the rest of Craig’s unexpired term from a field that includes Kenny Oswald, Ray Noble, Chalene Mudd, Phil Tollett, Chad Schneider, Jeff Baxter, Stanley Wojdyla, Debra Bryan, Nicholas Piasecki, Catherine Smith, Norbert Dennerll Jr., Mary Bryan, Frank Whitfield, Michael Tomlin-Brenner and Bonnie Ivancic.
Council announced the special meeting date and time as well as set the rules for selection during Monday’s Council meeting as the city’s charter is silent on exactly how to fill a vacancy when an independent Council member leaves office.
Here is the procedure:
During the upcoming special meeting each candidate will have five minutes to address Council. Following the presentations, Council members will use a paper ballot to select their top three candidates.
The paper ballots will be immediately tallied and will be used to narrow down the field of 15 applicants to the top three people that will move onto the nomination process. These are the people Council will vote on.
Council will continue to deliberate and vote until one person emerges with a majority of support. The victor will be immediately sworn in at the conclusion of the meeting.
As such, each candidate is asked to attend the meeting and bring any family and friends with them to watch the swearing in, if they are chosen.
- Phil Tollett named interim 4th Ward councilman in Elyria
- 4th Ward Elyria City Council candidate disqualified
- Elyria City Council to set meeting for choosing new member
- 4 more seek Elyria Council 4th Ward seat
- Two more vie for Elyria's 4th Ward seat; total now 7
- Five seek Elyria 4th Ward seat
- Council seat replacement taking shape
- Elyria Councilman Mark Craig to resign, leaving Elyria (UPDATED)