Tuesday, November 20, 2018 Elyria 34°
Advertisement

Local News

Fire at Oberlin house extinguished

  • Fire-jpg-4

    Firefighters from several departments were called to a home on Sumner Street in Oberlin for a house fire Tuesday afternoon.

    BRUCE BISHOP / CHRONICLE

Advertisement

OBERLIN— Firefighters put out a fire in a vacant house at the end of Sumner Street this afternoon.

No injuries were reported and no one was in the house when Oberlin firefighters arrived. 

Oberlin Fire Chief Rob Hanmer said they found a smoldering mattress in the house. The cause of the fire is unknown, Hanmer said, but the house had no natural gas or electricity in the house, so it could possibly have started with an “incendiary device” like a lighter or matches.

Hanmer said someone could recently have been staying in the house illegally.

Oberlin Fire Department also received aid from the Wellington Fire Department. 

Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…