AVON LAKE — The state certified a fourth physician to recommend medical marijuana in Lorain County.
Heidi Lencoski, an obstetrics and gynecology physician from Mercy Health Medical Center in Sheffield, received certification July 11 out of Avon Lake. She was one of the 35 additions to the list of 150 approved by the State Medical Board of Ohio monthly since April.
The state certified Cynthia Dietrich, an anesthesiologist for MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, in June. The state also certified Sheffield gynecologist Corie Kovach in April and Vermilion family practice physician Ann Dorobek in May. Both Kovach and Dorobek work for Mercy Health like Lencoski.
Mercy Health reissued the statement it gave when Dorobek and Kovach received certification as well.
The statement read:
“Marijuana remains illegal under federal law and the federal government has indicated it will enforce federal laws against the drug in states that have decriminalized its production and sale, including for medical purposes. Given that, Mercy Health is not at this time asking its physicians to undergo the two-hour training program.”
Lencoski graduated from the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio’s medical school in 2005. She also graduated from the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine the same year.
The qualifying medical conditions that are allowed to be treated using medical marijuana are HIV/AIDS; Alzheimer’s disease; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS; cancer; chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE; Crohn’s disease; epilepsy or another seizure disorder; fibromyalgia; glaucoma; hepatitis C; inflammatory bowel disease; multiple sclerosis; pain that is chronic and severe or intractable; Parkinson’s disease; post-traumatic stress disorder; sickle cell anemia; spinal cord disease or injury; Tourette’s syndrome; traumatic brain injury; and ulcerative colitis.
Lencoski couldn’t be reached for comment.
- State board to consider new qualifying conditions for medical marijuana
- Medical marijuana won't be ready by Sept. 8 in Ohio
- Third doctor approved to recommend medical marijuana
- Pot dispensary owners have experience in other states
- Three Lorain County businesses are licensed to sell medical marijuana
- Ohio legal cannabis advocate eyes retail, bills and ballot
- Vermilion doctor becomes second in county certified for marijuana prescriptions
- Sheffield doctor certified to recommend medical marijuana
- Proposed medical marijuana dispensary sites draw mixed reactions
- Officials find flaw with medical marijuana grower scoring