ELYRIA — There was the last home football game, then the last Lorain County Special Olympics and finally the last graduation — all at Ely Stadium.
Together, the events served as the lead up to the final days of the stadium.
Today, construction crews at the Ely Stadium site of Elyria Schools will begin demolition of the grandstand. Crews will be onsite early and demo work will begin about 9 or 10 a.m., weather permitting. The district will set aside some bricks outside the safety fencing area for fans.
Work includes a new water main around the stadium and as a result, the 400 block of Oberlin Road is down to one lane. Work should be completed by Wednesday. Workers from Mr. Excavator will be directing traffic. Expect delays.
The demolition work will continue through the afternoon today and until the structure is razed.
The Ely Stadium grandstand was built 91 years ago during the summer months of 1927.
- Out with the old and in with the new as Ely Stadium construction continues (VIDEO)
- 100-foot lights shine way to new Elyria stadium (VIDEO)
- State approves Elyria Schools five-school plan
- Readers say goodbye to Ely Stadium
- Ely Stadium closes chapter tonight
- Last graduation at Ely Stadium brings parking challenges, memories