AVON LAKE — The state certified a third physician to recommend medical marijuana in Lorain County.
Cynthia Dietrich, an anesthesiologist for MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, was certified Wednesday out of Avon Lake. She was one of 48 additions to the list of 90 approved by the State Medical Board of Ohio in May and April.
Tina Shaerban-Arundel, manager of public and media relations for MetroHealth, said Dietrich will not be allowed to recommend medical marijuana while representing the hospital system.
“It is MetroHealth’s current practice that providers not recommend medical marijuana,” she said via email.
Two other Lorain County doctors are under similar edicts from their employers.
Sheffield gynecologist Corie Kovach was certified in April, and Vermilion family practice physician Ann Dorobek in May. The physicians both work under Mercy Health, which issued May and April statements barring their physicians from recommending medical marijuana.
Dietrich attended Michigan State University in the College of Osteopathic Medicine and specializes in obstetric anesthesia.
The qualifying medical conditions that are allowed to be treated using medical marijuana are HIV/AIDS; Alzheimer’s disease; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS; cancer; chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE; Crohn’s disease; epilepsy or another seizure disorder; fibromyalgia; glaucoma; hepatitis C; inflammatory bowel disease; multiple sclerosis; pain that is chronic and severe, or intractable; Parkinson’s disease; post-traumatic stress disorder; sickle cell anemia; spinal cord disease or injury; Tourette’s syndrome; traumatic brain injury; and ulcerative colitis.
Dietrich could not be reached for comment.
- Fourth Lorain County doctor certified to recommend medical marijuana
- Medical marijuana won't be ready by Sept. 8 in Ohio
- State board to consider new qualifying conditions for medical marijuana
- Doctors recommend nearly 2,000 in medical marijuana registry
- 2 Lorain County doctors certified for medical marijuana open own practice
- Vermilion doctor becomes second in county certified for marijuana prescriptions
- Sheffield doctor certified to recommend medical marijuana