AVON — Traffic was slowed on I-90 east between the Nagel Road and Crocker Road. exits Tuesday after a car being towed caught fire about 4:45 p.m. While no one was injured, the car was a total loss.
Willie Crenshaw, of East Cleveland, was towing the 2002 Ford Escape from Vermilion to the east side of Cleveland. He was taking the vehicle to a friend’s, where he planned to work on it. Crenshaw said he looked back while driving and saw the car smoking. He pulled over shortly after passing the Nagel Road exit.
Avon Fire Department responded after the Crenshaw’s fire extinguisher was not enough to control the blaze; Avon police provided traffic control.
Crenshaw said the battery was not hooked up in the vehicle, and was unsure how the fire started.
“These cars (are) just made funny,” he said. “So you’ve got to be careful how you tow them, or how you drive them and all that. There’s no telling what they’ll do. I seen cars catch on fire without a battery. … That car caught on fire and the battery wasn’t even hooked up.”
Crenshaw said while he lost out on the money he paid for the car, he was fortunate no one was hurt in the “freak incident.”
“I thank God it just happened like that, that nobody hurt,” he said. “Most that hurt were my feelings. I was looking forward to messing with it, tinkering with it.”