ELYRIA — The Ohio Supreme Court assigned a retired judge from Wayne County to handle all Lorain County Common Pleas Court proceedings in the criminal cases related to the shooting death of Cody Snyder.
Robert J. Brown, a retired judge from the Wayne County Common Pleas Court, picked up the assignment effective Wednesday. He will preside in Lorain County in the cases against Kajuan Anderson, Jenna Turner and Jeffrey Miraldi, who are charged in connection with the death of Snyder.
The 19-year-old Snyder was shot last month during what police are calling “a drug deal gone bad.” Anderson, 18, and the two juveniles are charged with aggravated murder. The state has filed a motion to try the two juveniles, ages 16 and 17, as adults, which would move their cases to the Common Pleas Court.
Police say Miraldi, 20, was in the driver’s seat of a 2014 Ford Focus, which is registered to his father, Lorain County Common Pleas Judge John Miraldi, when Anderson allegedly shot Snyder, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, in the chest. Jeffrey Miraldi, along with Turner, 19, drove Snyder to University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center, where he ultimately died from his injuries.
Jeffrey Miraldi is charged with involuntary manslaughter with a gun specification, trafficking in marijuana, also with a gun specification, and four counts of tampering with evidence. Turner faces multiple charges of tampering with evidence in connection with the incident, as well.
A special prosecutor from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office will handle the criminal investigation and/or prosecution due to Jeffrey Miraldi being the son of a judge.
The Elyria Municipal Court also requested a visiting judge to handle Jeffrey Miraldi’s arraignment on new charges last week, which visiting Judge Ronald Adrine handled.
- Teens waive charges in Cody Snyder fatal shooting; plea deal expected
- Teens plead guilty in exchange for testimony in Elyria homicide (UPDATED)
- Jeffrey Miraldi, Jenna Turner plead guilty in connection with killing of Cody Snyder
- 2 juveniles face adult charges in Cody Snyder death
- Jenna Turner's father faces pot charges in connection with death of Cody Snyder
- Grand jury releases indictments in Cody Snyder homicide
- Three plead not guilty in Cody Snyder homicide (VIDEO, UPDATED)
- Special prosecutor to handle all cases relating to Cody Snyder death
- Jeffrey Miraldi released on bail
- Judge reduces Turner's bond in connection with Cody Snyder shooting
- Jeffrey Miraldi waives hearing; bail set at $50,000 (UPDATED, VIDEO)
- Charges pile up, but bail is reduced for Jeffrey Miraldi (VIDEO)
- Jeffrey Miraldi arraigned on tampering charge related to homicide (UPDATED)
- Judge's son charged with tampering in connection with fatal shooting
- Car registered to Judge John Miraldi was scene of fatal shooting (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Cody Snyder's death was expected — but not this way (VIDEO)
- Prosecutor files motions to try teens as adults in killing of 19-year-old
- Cody Lee Snyder
- 2 teens deny charges in fatal Elyria shooting
- Three arrested in fatal Elyria shooting (UPDATED)