ELYRIA — Gulf Road has reopened, which for travelers heading toward the north side of Elyria is welcome news.
This means two-way traffic can resume and the speed limit is back up to 35 mph.
However, open does not mean perfect condition.
Much of Gulf Road between Vista Court and the city’s wastewater treatment plant has rough and uneven asphalt installed. City officials said it is a temporary fix while there is heavy construction traffic operating between Whitman Boulevard and the plant.
Whitman Boulevard remains closed at Gulf Road with no through-traffic permitted.
Drivers on Gulf Road should watch out for slow-moving heavy construction vehicles.
The road closed nearly a year ago to accommodate the East Side Sewer Relief project. But residents have not favored the laborious work and City Hall has faced criticism by some who feel the city’s approach to traffic in the area has been haphazard.
The city said the closure was needed as a contractor worked to install a 78-inch stormwater sewer.
The project started on Gulf Road last spring. Workers are making their way down Whitman Boulevard toward North Abbe Road.
- Ohio EPA gives loan packages to Elyria, Lorain, Avon Lake
- City engineer: Gulf Road to open soon
- Gulf Road in Elyria finally reopens
- Gulf Road project migrates; residents express frustration with traffic
- Gulf Road project continues
- Weather hampers Gulf Road project
- Portion of Gulf Road to close for sewer project