In honor of Veterans Day on Saturday, post offices will be closed and there will be no mail delivery.
There are also several events planned and local restaurants offering free or discounted meals to veterans.
- A mural honoring the Gulf War and all U.S. military members who served in the Middle East will be dedicated at the city’s annual Veterans Day Tribute and Ceremony at 11 a.m. Saturday. The mural is the last of the four-mural artwork at the Veterans Mural, 248 Park Ave. Local artist Mike Sekletar created the first mural, honoring World War II veterans, in 2011. In 2013, a mural dedicated to Vietnam War veterans was dedicated, and one to Korean War veterans in 2015.
- A wreath ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at American Legion Post 12, 393 Ohio St. Laura Murray will be the guest speaker.
- A ceremony will be held at 5 p.m. Sunday at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1079, 500 S. Abbe Road. The event is open to the public.
- A ceremony will be 2 p.m. Saturday at Veterans Memorial Park, near West Street. The Keystone Alumni Band and speaker John McClean, an area resident who served in the Marines during the Vietnam War, will honor those who have given their life for their country and continue to fight for freedom.
- There is a Veterans Day Appreciation event 9 to 10:15 a.m. Friday at the Lodge at New Russia Township, 46300 Butternut Ridge Road. The event is sponsored by Oberlin College and the city of Oberlin.
There will be patriotic performances by the Oberlin High School Orchestra and guest speakers along with a ceremonial procession by Lorain High School JROTC.
The event is free and open to the public.
- Vermilion will mark Veterans Day with an observance ceremony at Victory Park, at the northeast corner of Main and Ohio streets, at 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Applebee’s restaurants will offer a free meal from a special menu to veterans on Saturday. Bring proof of military service to redeem.
- Quaker Steak & Lube is offering free or discounted meals to veterans on Saturday. Bring proof of military service to redeem.
- Texas Roadhouse will offer a special menu with free meals for veterans 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Bring proof of military service to redeem.