ELYRIA — Local companies and contractors looking to secure a piece of a $140 million school project that will rebuild elementary and middle schools are encouraged to attend local meetings that will detail the work.
The construction management team charged with building five new schools in Elyria is Cleveland-based AGS, which is a conglomerate of AECOM, Greenspace Construction Services and Scaparotti Consulting Group. AGS and the district’s design firm, Architectural Vision Group in Westlake, are partnering with the Lorain County Urban League to help local companies, contractors and workers participate in the project, which is expected to span several years.
The team will host several informational meetings and Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)/Encouraging Diversity, Growth and Equity (EDGE) prequalification work sessions at the Lorain County Urban League, 200 Middle Ave., Suite 200, in Elyria.
All meetings/work sessions are set for 6-8 p.m. starting today, with additional meetings Nov. 11, Dec.7 and Jan. 4.
The Elyria project calls for building five new schools in phases:
- Ely Elementary School, a kindergarten-grade 4 elementary school at the current site of Ely Elementary School.
- McKinley Elementary School, a kindergarten-grade 4 elementary school at the current site of Hamilton School on Middle Avenue.
- Eastern Heights Campus: a kindergarten-grade 8 campus at the current site of Eastern Heights Middle School.
- Northwood Campus: a pre-kindergarten-grade 8 campus at the current site of Pioneer Field on Abbe Road.
- Westwood Campus: a kindergarten-grade 8 campus at the current site of the Administration Center in Elyria Township.
The scope of the project also includes remodeling the existing Westwood Middle School as a new administration and maintenance center.
Phase I will see the construction of Ely Elementary School and the Northwood Campus, and demolition of Spring Valley and Hamilton schools. Early site work will begin this fall.
- Elyria Schools set to alter master plan, cut two schools
- Elyria Schools might get break on building expenses
- Local workers sought for Elyria Schools project
- Northwood campus plan raises questions on traffic, flooding (VIDEO)
- Elyria schools hire high school architect for more school construction
- Designers give first glimpse to new Elyria school renderings
- Elyria board takes first steps in school construction plan
- Elyria Schools issue wins by closer than expected margin
- Elyria bond issue passes for new schools
- Elyria mayor, school officials unite for Issue 23 fundraiser
- Elyria Council endorses school issue
- Space at a premium at Prospect Elementary School
- Newer building, but old wounds at former Elyria West (VIDEO)
- Parts of Eastern Heights tour a soggy slog
- Buildings' history may make passage of Elyria schools bond issue tough
- Tours planned to show conditions of Elyria school buildings
- Superintendent: New building plan 'mindful of history'