NORTH RIDGEVILLE – The contract dispute between the school board and the teachers union appears to have come to an end.
Late Wednesday night, the school board and the North Ridgeville Education Association reached a tentative agreement on a contract.
“We are thrilled to report that we have reached a tentative agreement with the (NREA) leadership on a contract proposal with our teachers,” Kelly McCarthy, president of the North Ridgeville school board, said in a statement early today. “We now look forward to the teachers voting to approve that contract. The union leaders have indicated that vote will be soon. The Board is prepared to adopt the agreement in short order.”
On its Facebook page, the NREA confirmed the news with a post.
“Thank you to the members of the negotiations team and the school board members for all their hard work,” the post said. “This is great news.”
The district’s superintendent, Jim Powell, broke the news last night on Twitter at 10:44 p.m. when he tweeted:
“We have a tentative agreement between the North Ridgeville Board and North Ridgeville Education Association. We are very excited.”
Terms of the contract have not yet been released, but McCarthy said, “…we have arrived at a contract that includes a healthy compensation increase for our deserving teachers while holding to our commitment to be fiscally responsible to our school district and our community.”
The two sides had been in negotiations on a new contract since April 2016. Earlier this year the board declared the negotiations to be at a stalemate after the teachers had rejected the district’s last best offer.
- North Ridgeville school board approves teachers' contract
- North Ridgeville teachers approve deal
- Tentative contract reached at North Ridgeville Schools
- North Ridgeville teachers vote to authorize strike notification
- North Ridgeville teachers union defends high school band director
- North Ridgeville students cancel planned sit-in
- North Ridgeville board: Teachers file 10-day strike authorization
- High school band out of North Ridgeville parade
- North Ridgeville teachers plan demonstration at board meeting
- North Ridgeville teachers again reject contract
- North Ridgeville Schools teacher contract enters mediation
- North Ridgeville teachers reject contract offer
- Talks sour with North Ridgeville teachers
- Negotiations stalled with North Ridgeville teachers; board says it's presented final offer
- North Ridgeville Schools having talks on pair of fronts