Monday, June 25, 2018 Elyria 63°

Local News

Attempted murder charges in severe beating of 2 men

  • 21812851

    Waylon Nail



ELYRIA — An Elyria man has been indicted on attempted murder charges for a February fight in which he allegedly beat two men into unconsciousness.

Waylon Nail, 36, also faces felonious assault charges for the attack that put the two men, Mark Reed Jr., 46, and Ashley Hughart, 38, in the hospital.

Lorain County Sheriff’s deputies were called to an East River Road home in Carlisle Township just after midnight Feb. 5 by a woman who claimed to have heard a male and female inside screaming.

When deputies arrived, they found Nail and Heather Bathurst sitting on a couch and arguing, according to a police report on the incident.

Nail answered the door and deputies reported they saw two men, later identified as Reed and Hughart, on the floor. Both men were unconscious and had “severe facial bruising.”

Nail told deputies that everyone at the house had been drinking heavily, and he and Reed decided to go outside and punch a wood pile with their bare hands. Instead, Nail said, Reed and Hughart began to argue and when he tried to intervene, Reed tried to attack him with a hatchet. He also told deputies that Reed hit him in the head with a large, heavy flashlight.

The report said Nail, who had blood on his clothes, told deputies that he didn’t strike either man, although he did push Reed to the ground. He said Reed and Hughart beat each other unconscious.

Deputies found the flashlight that Nail said had been used to hit him in the head, but didn’t find a hatchet.

Bathurst told deputies that she saw someone jump on Nail’s back, but didn’t see what happened afterward. A second woman, later identified as Amy Govelovich, had left the home by the time deputies arrived. Police later determined she called 911 using Hughart’s phone.

Nail, who had outstanding warrants, was taken into custody and transported to the hospital for treatment. Before being taken away, Nail was bragging about how he used to be a UFC fighter and made punching motions in the air, according to a deputy.

When deputies later spoke with Govelovich during their investigation, she told them that Reed and Nail, who was upset over a missing cell phone, were arguing, which woke up Hughart. Hughart, she said, grabbed the hatchet to keep Nail away from him. He also told her to leave and she went outside.

Govelovich said she heard screaming from inside the house and when she went back inside, Nail was standing over Reed and Hughart and he kicked them both in the head.

When he was questioned after arriving at Lorain County Jail, Nail reiterated his story from earlier, but said it was Hughart who was armed with the hatchet. He maintained that the two men had beaten each other unconscious, but did admit that he had “nudged” them with him foot three times to see if they were sleeping.

Nail remains in the Lorain County Jail and is scheduled to be arraigned next week.

The report said Reed and Hughart were flown to MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland for treatment.

“The two victims have serious injuries, and they’re still recovering from those injuries,” Sheriff’s Capt. Donald Barker said Friday.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…