ELYRIA — City health departments will be a thing of the past in Lorain County when the Elyria Health Department dissolves Monday and joins the Lorain County General Health District.
“Once the new year hits, we’ll all be in one department,” district Commissioner Dave Covell said. “Lorain and Avon Lake have already transitioned into the general health district and that’s been so far, so good, and we think Elyria will go the same way.”
CT FILE Enlarge
Covell said by absorbing those three into the fold, the district will be the sole health department in the county and while that changes things in general, the services will not.
“There were a lot of disjointed services before,” he said. “Some cities offered some things and some didn’t. Avon Lake didn’t even have a health department before, so I think this is really going to streamline things for everyone.”
The district is responsible for inspections; licensing; communicable disease immunization, tests and treatments; enforcement of Ohio and local regulations; reporting of diseases to the state; and maintaining birth and death records.
Covell said five employees from Lorain’s health department came to the county and all full-time employees in the Elyria department were offered positions in the county except for two administrators.
“Most are coming with us, and if they aren’t, we’ve made sure to find new opportunities for them,” he said.
Employees who did not go to the county were given retirement options or employment assistance in the public health or nursing fields.
The health district office is at 9880 S. Murray Ridge Road in Elyria and are open
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The phone number is (440) 322-6367. For more information on the Lorain County General Health District, visit www.loraincountyhealth.com.
Contact Katie Nix at 329-7129 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @KatieHNix.
- Elyria approves rezoning of former health department site
- Mercy picks up infant mortality grant from defunct Elyria agency
- Most Elyria health workers finding jobs with county
- County health district receives state-mandated accreditation
- Cities added to health district
- Elyria to end health department
- Health district merger could lead to increased cost for Elyria businesses
- County health district can't promise jobs for Elyria workers
- Once again, Elyria council delays decision on city health district
- Health District decision still pending for Elyria, Avon Lake
- Elyria health district merger moves to full Council
- Even without merger, Elyria Health District leader says it's on borrowed time
- Brinda to urge Council to end Health Department
- Lorain Council votes to end city Health Department
- Elyria health services face likely streamlining