The Lorain County General Health District Health Commissioner, David Covell, encourages residents to include walking during their day as much as possible. “Local Walking Maps are a great tool to help you get started,” continues Covell. Check out the walking maps throughout Lorain County that are 1.5 miles and under and can be walked by most people in 30 minutes or less.
Moderate physical activity, like walking, helps to produce numerous health benefits that include:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
- Reducing the risk of certain types of cancers
- Lowering the risk of diabetes
- Managing blood pressure
- Decreasing bad cholesterol, LDL
- Improving your overall quality of life!
Walking maps provide a guide for a 30 minute walk. Can’t fit 30 minutes in your schedule? Walk for shorter time periods and spread it out throughout the day; like 10 minutes 3 times per day. Include walking in your daily routine by:
- Taking a stroll with the family dog and kids after dinner.
- Getting off the couch during commercial breaks.
- Walking at lunch with coworkers.
- Arriving to work a bit early or leaving a little later to take laps around the parking lot.